Black Americans and the subject of Patriotism






By: Charles Blatcher, III
Chairman, National Coalition of Black Veteran Organizations
                    
 There is clearly a misconception in the minds of some about what patriotism means to many Black Americans. Some seem to forget that it was under the same flag Blacks toiled in slavery for decades. The same flag that lynching was permitted classified Black Americans as three-fifths human. If my tone sounds angry borrowing the song title by Smokey Robinson, (“It’s Just My Soul Responding.”) The subject of patriotism was broached in a panel discussion recently co-host by Oakland City Councilwoman Desley Brooks and the National Coalition of Black Veteran Organizations.
     The panel discussion followed the screening of the Department of the Army video titled, “African Americans in World War II: A Legacy of Patriotism and Valor. The panel consisted of community activist and retired military persons. The following questions were the topics of discussion: Should Black Americans serve in the Armed Forces? Are benefits derived from our service worth the tribulations and humiliations of our past experiences? Would you encourage your child or grandchildren to join the Armed Forces? And, should there be a draft?
     The panel included Mr. Howard Jackson, Retired Major, USMC, chairman of the National Minority Military Museum Foundation, Diane Williamson, USA – President of Veterans Media Outreach and Mr. Nick Harper, USMC Vietnam Combat Veteran and Radio Personality. The opposing points of view were represented by Ms. Assata Olugbala, Mr. Gene Hazzard and Reverend Donald Sutton, pastor of Resurrection Christian Ministry. Following a spirited exchange of excellent viewpoints, as the moderator I posed the question: Is it disrespectful to kneel during the pledge of alliance? The question was asked in reference the announced new policy of the NFL banding the act of freedom of speech under the First Amendment in the Bill of Rights. The players have the choice of staying in the locker room. However, the rule dictates teams will be fined if any of its members kneel or refuse to stand during the pledge.
     The new policy is a direct affront to the Black community, especially to the veterans’ population. How convenient it is to forget we have served in this nation’s Armed Forces. We have fought wars under this nation’s flag to free others when we were not free ourselves. Borrowing a quotation from an interviewee in the documentary, “we stood for this country, when this country would not stand for us.” The late great poet, Langston Hughes wrote the following verse that reflected the sentiments of Black Soldiers in World War II. It is titled, “Will V - Day Be Me Day Too?
Over There:
Dear Fellow Americans
I write this letter
Hoping times would be better
When this war
Is through
I’m a Tan-skinned Yank
Driving a Tank
I ask WILL V-DAY
BE ME DAY, TOO?

I wear a U.S. uniform
I’ve done the enemy much harm
I’ve driven back
The Germans and the Japs
From Burma to the Rhine
On every battle line
I’ve dropped defeat
Into the Fascists laps

I am a Negro American
Out to defend my land
Army, Navy, Air Corps—                                                                           
I am there
I take munitions through
I fight – or stevedore, too
I face death the same as you do
Everywhere

I’ve seen my buddy lying
Where he fell
I’ve watched him dying
I promised him that I would try
To make our land a land
Where his son could be a man—
And there’d be no Jim Crow birds
Left in our sky
                                                                                     
So this is what I want to know:
When we see Victory’s glow
Will you still let old Jim Crow
Hold me back?
When all those foreign folks who’ve waited—
Italians, Chinese, Danes—are liberated
Will I still be ill-fated
Because I’m Black?

Here in my own, my native land
Will the Jim Crow laws still stand?
Will Dixie lynch me still
When I return?
Or will you comrades in arms
From the factories and the farms
Have learned what this war
Was fought for us to learn?

When I take off my uniform
Will I be safe from harm—
Or will you do me
As the Germans did the Jews?
When I have helped this world to save
Shall I still be color’s slave?
Or will victory change
Your antiquated views?

You can’t say I didn’t fight
To smash the Fascists’ might
You can’t say I wasn’t with you
In each battle
As a soldier, and a friend
When this war comes to an end
Will you herd me in a Jim Crow car
Like cattle?

Or will you stand up like a man
At home and take your stand
For Democracy?
That’s all I ask of you
                                                                                     
When we lay the guns away
To celebrate
Our Victory Day
WILL V-DAY BE ME-DAY, TOO?
That’s what I want to know

Sincerely,
GI Joe

    It would be beneficial for race relations if the White House and the National Football League learn about Black Military History before questioning the patriotism of Black Americans. Patriotism is more than the symbolism of standing for the pledge of alliance or saluting the flag. Patriotism is stepping forward to serve in times of peace and national crises. The Black Community have answered the call on every occasion from the American Revolutionary War forward. If we could get half the people who stand for the flag to stand for democracy, this would be a better nation.
    In closing, the Panel discussion was quite stimulating. The National Coalition of Black Veteran Organizations plan to meet quarterly in Oakland, California to discuss current and past events relative to our involvement in the nation’s defense. For Veterans Day, November 11, 2018, we are inviting Black Veteran Organizations nationwide to join with your local Chapter of the NAACP to host a public discussions on Black Military History in their respective communities. 
     
Contact information: cnmmmf@aol.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poze Productions/Poze Records Inc..FREE TO JOIN Yung Crazy AuraGammi new release Lampstand Music apply today

POZE PRODUCTION ARTIST UPDATES MARCH 2019

Congratulations TC Eckstein Vocalese, Your song Devil May Care is #1 Again for Jazz in United States, Massachusetts!